We already know that food impacts our health greatly and that it can either make us sick or be beneficial for our health, depending on the type of food we choose to eat daily. The best way to stay healthy, or get better if we are sick, is to start eating a well balanced diet and introduce foods rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants – the nutrients that minimize the damage of the cells thus decreasing the risk of cancer, heart disease and many other diseases. Eating these foods, you will feel better in your body and it will certainly show on the outside, too.
1. Eggs are considered to be superfoods as they provide a good amount of protein in a small, cheap package. They are basically the cheapest of all the healthy foods, but among the healthiest as well. One egg contains around 6 grams of protein and high levels of omega-3 fatty acids which promotes heart health and helps the functions of the body.
2. Oatmeal is a great source of fiber and it is known to help in lowering blood cholesterol. Oatmeal also increases the speed of metabolism and helps digestion. It is considered to be a ‘whole’ food that should be introduced into your everyday diet to ensure daily fiber and healthy carbohydrate intake. One to three tablespoons of oatmeal per day are enough to improve your bodily functions. To make sure you are not eating any unnecessary sugars and additives, make your own oatmeal at home, with simple oat bran and healthy additions that you like.
3. Even though it looks somewhat like rice, quinoa is actually a seed that is more related to green leafy vegetables like kale. These seeds are extremely healthy and quinoa is considered a superfood because it is among the only seeds that provide the 9 amino acids our body needs, but doesn’t provide on its own.
4. Green veggies have always been known to be among the healthiest foods, and the fact is that they can never be bad for you. Green veggies are packed with iron, calcium, vitamins, minerals and other easily digestible nutrients that help protect the body and heal it. Green veggies also contain proteins and healthy bacteria that help the body build lean muscle and protect you from diseases.
5. Lemon and other citrus fruits contain high levels of vitamin C which the body needs in order to produce collagen, an important element that helps in strengthening blood vessels, ligaments and bones and keeps them healthy. Lemons are also packed with antioxidants, particularly flavonoids, which help in preventing heart disease and cancer, and reduce inflammation.
6. Avocado is an excellent source of monounsaturated fat which helps improve cholesterol levels, promote brain function and protects the heart from diseases. Avocado is also rich in vitamin E, which is a powerful antioxidant, as well as vitamin B, which protects the health of the skin. However, even though this food is very healthy, it should be taken in limited amounts as it is very high in calories. Half a fruit per day is more than enough to be beneficial for your health.
7. Flax seeds are one of the most powerful superfoods that exist. They are packed with fiber and omega-3 acids, which are known to help the body balance cholesterol levels and promote the health of the heart. These seeds also contain high levels of vitamin B, and antioxidants. In order to experience the benefits of this superfood, taking a few teaspoons per day should be just enough. Introducing flax seeds into your daily diet shouldn’t be a problem, as they can be combined with many kinds of food, including dairy and pastries. They can even be consumed grounded, and that way the nutrients from the flax seeds are easier to be absorbed by your body.