If you have a dog, you probably love it as a best friend and care for its health and well-being. Well, in order to keep them healthy and happy, it is important to know what to feed them, and what not.
Unfortunately, there are many foods that you shouldn’t be giving to your dog that you probably didn’t even know were bad for your furry friend. Some of those foods are the ones we eat daily and have no health problems caused by them.
Realizing what mistakes you’re making regarding your dog’s diet is crucial, and you will be more able to take better care of it and help it live a long and happy life if you avoid these 14 simple nutritional mistakes that could cost your dog his life.
1. Onions and garlic
It all depends on the dog’s size, and they have to eat a certain quantity of onions and garlic to get sick, but sometimes even a small amount is enough. Quarter of a cup is enough to make a 22lbs dog sick.
But why would dogs eat onions?
Your family eats cooked meals, right? And lots of those meals contain onions – cooked, fried, etc. But there are also onion rings or dried onions as a part of soups and other dishes. Those meals mask the original taste of onion and it doesn’t need to be eaten fresh to cause damage.
The harmfulness of onions for dogs comes from it’s tendency to oxidize hemoglobin in the red blood cells (protein which transports oxygen), which makes it unable to carry oxygen properly, leading to clumps in the red blood cells and eventually causing anemia in dogs.
Your dog won’t die because of eating some onions, and the red blood cells will still carry oxygen, but not as effectively.
If your dog eats a large amount of onion in one go, it can cause a sudden development of anemia, while if it eats it in small amounts frequently, anemia will develop slowly over the course of a couple of months.
When anemia becomes severe, your dog may need to be hospitalized and receive blood transfusion. Fortunately, most dogs respond well to treatment. Garlic can cause the same problems as onions, but it is less likely that a dog will ingest an amount of it large enough to cause damage.